Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Soothing Sounds of TOOL

Is it possible that Tool is actually an easy listening band? It's weird, I don't normally like anything metal or too aggressive, and there are tons of crappy bands who churn out this sort of LA heavy rock that I just can't stand.

But Tool is in a different category to me. They are intelligent, deep, almost alien, and do not neatly fit into the "metal" category, despite the intense razorburn guitar sound and mammoth production style. I actually find them soothing. Maynard's voice has a lilting quality to it that is oddly comforting, and the wash of bass and guitars working with his voice, over a strange math-rock rhythm, just makes me feel like I'm listening to music that improves my brain.

All Hail Tool!

They are on my best of the decade list, which you can see here:

Free Quality Link Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment